Background 1

Wednesday, August 24, 2011

ACKNOWLEDGING THE REALITY OF ADOPTION...

A great friend reminded me of the first hurdle during the attachment process of adoption.  She said it would come around six weeks.  This past week has been pretty hard here.  One of the boys started using his bed and bedroom as a bathroom.  There have been countless discipline issues this past week.  Then I remembered my friend's words....they have been here just over six weeks.

I have read almost every attachment book written; popular, non-Christian, Christian with Bible studies added, etc.  There are so many good nuggets of information to help me understand what they are feeling.  However, something has always just been "off" a bit to me.  God, through many new friends , has poked my heart to look to Him for the answers...not just an adoption book.

We had a long hard battle for Z-girl.  I read every book - took her to numerous counseling sessions - regressed her - I tried it all.  Then one day I remember thinking "this just seems like something spiritual to me."  Many of you know our story of what happened with Z-girl.  There was a serious battle for her very soul!  Praise the Lord we were victorious...but what does this have to do with adoption?

Satan hates everything God stands for....LOVE, KINDNESS, PATIENCE, FORGIVENESS, SECURITY,  ACCEPTANCE....but LOVE, oh how he hates that.  These children start as orphans.  Whether as an infant or older child, regardless of the circumstances, they are rejected and abandoned - with good intentions from most biological families.  However, truth is they were left behind.  Evil intends it to stay that way.  He wants them to stay broken, alone, scared, without love.  God commands us to take care of the widows and orphans.  Evil will fight against that with every ounce of energy available.

Z-girl had a very hard time.  It was so real in our home.  Satan wanted her broken, shattered, cold, alone, and desperate.  Finally, we listened to God and found the tools through him and many friends that allowed us to perceive it, rebuke it, and love on her.  She has made huge strides.  Now, regression has started.  I expected that.  And although I can fall into those old patterns of annoyance again at fighting the battle of wills....I have chosen and God has reminded me of the tools He has given all of us. 

Today, Z-girl and I prayed.  We talked.  We both cried.  She is a redemption story!  She is NOT abandoned or rejected.  She WILL NOT stay broken.  I believe in God's complete healing of her!

Now, we will remember these situations with our boys.  And of course, with all our children and ourselves.  It is not as if Satan isn't trying stuff on me.  He doesn't just go after the adopted ;). 

I heard a quote somewhere that said "I want to be the kind of woman that when Satan hears my feet hit the floor each morning he says 'OH CRAP, she is awake!'"  Dear Lord - let that be me!!!!

Remember  Ephesians 6:12
**For our wrestling is not against flesh and blood, but against the principalities, against the powers, against the world-rulers of this darkness, against the spiritual hosts of wickedness in the heavenly places.


1 comment:

  1. Wow. It is as though our brains are connected some how. My hubby and I just had this very discussion (spiritual warfare in the lives of our adopted children) about our adopted son, Jackson. Satan does hate that he is healing. I talked to Jackson about it too and we both agreed we want Jesus to win this war. And I believe with all my heart that we are well on our way to a victory in Jesus concerning Jackson's heart, just as you are seeing in Z-girl.

    Prayers of comfort, peace, rest, patience and stamina to you and your entire family during this difficult attachment process.

    ReplyDelete