Background 1

Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Be Somebody Else....Not Yourself

So, the title to this post has some play on words which has led me to write such an inspirational post (much sarcasm).


I was talking with some co-workers and there was one person that was surprised that we have adopted 5 children as well as have 5 biological. Their comment was, "Why ruin your life with all the problems of adoption and let somebody else do that. You should enjoy your life not ruin it and put such a burden on taxpayers with all those kids."

Anger, apethy, disgust, a strong desire to physically break their....well...you get the point as to how I felt. That all went through my head. What I said did not come from me because I can't think that fast on my toes. My comment was, "Well, I am somebody else." And I walked away.


My thoughts are that we should be that "somebody else", because if we aren't, then who? The good Lord above has put it into mine and Ethel's hearts to adopt as a way to serve Him. Serving Him may not be through adoption for all people. I know that discerning and understanding of your spiritual gifts and utilizing them to your best ability is usually what being "somebody else" is all about.


"Somebody Else" is not the norm in today's society. Ironically, we are told to just be ourselves. All well and good for most instances, but in cases like this, especially in America the Land of Plenty, sacrificing selfish desires is for "somebody else."


My soapbox is broken now and wore out, so I will step down. Thanks for listening...err....reading.


As an update for family, Ethel can do a better job with that, but I will try.

The three new boys are doing just fine. There are the typical brotherly fights and whining, but it will take time for them, as well as the other seven, to figure who fits where in the family. We are now 1.5 months into this family of 12 and it has gone better than I expected.


This week was the first week of school, well, for the Reeves' homeschool bunch.
It also starts football practice for Car Man. He has so much wanted to compete in football as well as a dad's desire to see his son play football. What dad wouldn't want to see his boy doing what he did as a kid! I'm excited to see how he reacts when he goes up against kids his own size or larger and it's for real. It's not the messing around in the front yard stuff.

Last week was the Unity Music Festival in Muskegon and I took Sunshine and Peeps to Day Zero which is free to see Barlow Girl and Kutless. That was an amazing night especially for Kutless to come out playing worship songs and seeing people of an older generation swaying and worshiping to what Kutless was playing! Thursday night we went back again to see four bands; Hearts of Saints, FFH, Group 1 Crew, and Switchfoot. They all were fantastic, but Switchfoot put on an incredible show. Peeps and Sunshine both loved it and want to go back next year.

Ethel took Boukie and Car Man to see the Go Fish guys at church. They came home with smiles as wide as Texas on their faces. Now, all they play are Go Fish songs....oh...and Annagail's "Linger in Bloom" CD.

Annagail is a favorite band of ours. Please check them out at http://www.annagail.net/
They will be going on their radio tour in the fall. Please check out their album "The Cabin Sessions".

That's all for now! Yeah I know....you all want pictures.....Ethel can get on that...lol.

1 comment:

  1. So much joy, peace and blessings in being "the someone else". More people should try it. :-) Thank you for sharing and for being "someone else".

    ReplyDelete